I know little about Lovecraft other than references to him in everything from
Clive Barker's work to the Real Ghostbusters cartoon. He was a bigot?  I heard
that about Jack London, but didn't know it was that bad.

From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Agreed on that scene and yes Howard's views soured me on his work. He
may not have been a rabid racist like H. P. Lovecraft or Jackkk
London but he was "a man of his time." Plus his close friendship with
that repugnant troll Lovecraft raised all sorts of flags.

He actually had some decent black characters and Conan never showed a
shred of racist behavior on page but I can't really get past his
personal views.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> okay, okay, i'll give you some of that! But surely you can't defend
that scene in the second flick when conan defeats the wizard by
smashing all his mirrors! Was that corny or what? And what kind of
idiot wizard lets a guy with a big A sword into a room full of
breakable glass that's the source of his power?!

> When you say you soured on Howard, is that due to a deeper
realization of his racist views?

> From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Blasphemy!!! LOL.
>
> Conan did stuff like that in the books all the time. Conan, Tarzan,
> Doc Savage and other "peak humans" regularly perform flatout
> seemingly superhuman feats so those have never bugged me.
>
> The only thing that bugged me about the movies was the origin
story.
> Conan as a placid slave/gladiator didn't mesh with the book version
> of a wild, skinny youth who:
>
> -Was part of the Cimmerian army that sacked Venarium when he was
15.
> It was a pivotal battle in that universe and only time the
Cimmerians