I think Diesel is trying to establish himself, and as you said, maybe some ego
got in the way. Yet, he did that family-friendly flick where he was agent
having to babysit a family, so surely that was just to please the crowd and
make some dough (a la Eddie Murphy).  "A Man Apart" was pretty good, but not
spectacular. I sometimes think Diesel is from the Kevin Costner/Wesley Snipes
school: they aim high, trying to make big, epic, soaring pictures (Waterworld,
The Postman), or high-octane action flicks (Murder at 1600, others) that don't
always do as well as hoped. So people then see the movies and the actors as
just average. While the actors are aiming high and big, the audience seems them
as just average. Some actors seem to have built in likability/visability/studio
support, and get attention that frankly may be out of proportion to their
abilities (Schwarzenegger, Will Smith) but they make it work. Arnold had his
weightlifting background, and the good sense to team up with Camero
n (Terminator) and DeLaurentis (Conan) to help get him going. Smith had the
Fresh Prince background, and a couple of crowd-pleasing hits (Bad Boys, Men in
Black) to get his visibility.

Is it that Diesel and Snipes aren't as good/likeable as Arnold and Smith, did
they make worse choices, rush their careers too fast, or haven't been as lucky?

One thing I will say about Diesel: "The Chronicles of Riddick" is one of the
closest disappointments i've seen in recent years. That trailers promised a
soaring epic, a scifi film to stand on the same level as LOTR and in the scifi
world, we haven't had that in ages. And will i love The Chronicles of Riddick,
everytime I see it I realize it falls short of the glory Diesel intended. So
many great moments, such great background and setup, but spoiled by a beginning
and middle that's too much cliched scifi. By the time they really try to bring
in the mythos and otherworldliness of the Necromongers, it's too late.  I think
that's the film that could have put him on the road to Arnold territory, but it
just missed the mark. Too bad, 'cause I really wanted to see a third film too,
the second was so damn good in spots...

From: "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I liked both Pitch black and the sequel. After Pitch Black and Boiler
Room, I thought he was really going places. I guess his career sorta fizzled