You know, i've always liked Heston. Yeah, he's a conservative, and his NRA
rhetoric got on my nerves. But he is one of those old-school actors who always
said what he felt. He didn't dissemble or demure for fear of damaging his
career and rep: he told it like it was. Heston did a wide range of films, being
fortunate enough to work back in the days when Biblical epics were considered
as valid as cop dramas. And he crossed into scifi at a time when some major
stars shied away from it as too silly for them.
Heston also spoke out against segregation and racism when he was younger, back
when many stars refused to get involved. He marched with Dr. King. (see wiki
entry below). Now later in life he became more conservative, attacked
"political correctness", and was against affirmative action. I think like a lot
of white guys, the reality of having to *work* for a *long time* to ensure
equality was more and scarier than he thought when he was marching and speaking
out. (Lot of white folk have fatigue with our issues; i guess they think 30
years of half-ass equality more than makes up for going on 400 years of
oppression).

Despite his swing to the right, though, I still like Heston. I guess he seems
like one of those old school "real men" whose attitudes i often abhor, but
whose courage and forthrightness i can respect. If only their powers could be
used for good and all...

>From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleton_Heston
In his earlier years, Heston was a liberal Democrat, campaigning for
Presidential candidates Adlai Stevenson in 1956 and John F. Kennedy in 1960. A
civil rights activist, he accompanied Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil
rights march held in Washington, D.C. in 1963, even going so far as to wear a
sign that read "All Men Are Created Equal". Heston later claimed it a point of
pride that he helped in the civil rights cause "long before Hollywood found it
fashionable", as he often says in his speeches. Heston had also planned to
campaign for Lyndon Johnson, but was unable to do so when filming on Major
Dundee went over schedule. In 1968, following the assassination of Senator
Robert F. Kennedy, Heston appeared on The Joey Bishop Show and, along with
fellow actors Gregory Peck, Kirk Douglas and James Stewart, called for public
support for President Johnson's Gun Control Act of 1968. He later claimed he
was "young and foolish."[citation needed] In 1969, Heston was asked by some Dem
ocrats to run for the California State Senate, a move that would have likely
had bipartisan support in the state.[citation needed] He declined because he
wanted to continue acting.
He was also an opponent of McCarthyism and racial segregation, which he saw as
only helping the cause of Communism worldwide. He opposed the Vietnam War and
considered Richard Nixon a disaster for America. He turned down John Wayne's
offer of a role in The Alamo, because the film was a right-wing allegory for
the Cold War. By the 1980s, however, Heston had began to support more
conservative positions on such issues as affirmative action and gun rights.
Heston changed his registration from Democrat to Republican. He has campaigned
for Republican candidates and Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and
George W. Bush.