http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Reviews/R/Repo_The_Genetic_Opera/2008/11/21/7483651-sun.html

Rocky Horror-esque 'Repo!' lacks charm

By BRUCE KIRKLAND -- Sun Media

Director Darren Lynn Bousman and co. clearly are trying to position their
overblown musical, Repo! The Genetic Opera, as a Goth answer to The Rocky
Horror Picture Show.

It remains a mystery how Rocky Horror, a disaster on initial release,
climbed out of the abyss and became a late-night cult favourite that is
still beloved (including by me). But the originality of the original
theatrical piece factors in, as does the quality of the show tunes and the
compelling nature of the cast.

With fans chanting lines, singing snatches of tunes and dressing like the
characters, Repo! would like to replicate that enthusiasm and devotion now.

Count me out. Repo! is a bloody grotesquerie, not a delicious delight as
was Rocky Horror.

Repo!, Bousman's first musical after helming three of the Saw sequels,
sucks so large that only the Goth crowd could love it -- and only because
few other filmmakers bother to cater to their particular tastes.

The pseudo-operatic rock music is horrible. The acting is abysmal, from
Alexa Vega's poor-little-me performance as the teenager, to Paul Sorvino's
blustery turn as the despotic villain. Paris Hilton -- who plays Sorvino's
drug- and surgery-obsessed daughter -- is not the worst thing on screen,
so that tells you something because she is a hopeless twit as an actress.
Even reliable Anthony Stewart Head (of Buffy fame) is ridiculous as Vega's
daddy, a man hiding his horrifying secret-identity from her.

Other thankless roles are played by Bill Moseley, Nivek Ogre, Terrance
Zdunich and even Sarah Brightman, who wastes her powerful pipes singing as
the weird-eyed Blind Mag.

The production design is all gloom-and-doom. It looks like what would
result if the artistry of Blade Runner was imposed on the sets for Chicago
and gussied up with traces of Transylvania and washed over with buckets of
blood.

The story for this made-in-Toronto creepshow involves organs that
Sorvino's all-powerful company dispensed to save lives during a prior
plague. With the populace hooked, and in debt, GeneCo now sends out a repo
man to rip the organs out of delinquent customers, leaving them as
bloodied, mangled corpses.

Ugh! And ugly.