I know! Now if they could just get Queenie to do the fist bump...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrianne Brennan" <adrianne.bren...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:10:11 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] OT: Queen Elizabeth Displays Rare Public Affection
for Michelle Obama

That's just awesome. :D :D

~ "Where love and magic meet" ~
http://www.adriannebrennan.com
Experience the magic of Blood of the Dark Moon:
http://www.adriannebrennan.com/botdm.html
Take a bite out of Blood and Mint Chocolates:
http://www.adriannebrennan.com/bamc.html
Dare to take The Oath in this fantasy series:
http://www.adriannebrennan.com/books.html#the_oath

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Keith Johnson < keithbjohn...@comcast.net >
wrote:

Well! Old Queenie showed little emotion and showed Michelle some love! What a
funny world when a handshake or arm put around another person is big news!
The best I've ever seen though, was way back in the late '80s or early '90s
when the Queen came to the US.  She was meeting some regular folk-I want to say
it was back in Dallas--and an older black woman grabbed Elizabeth and gave her
a big hug! It was great: just like you'd expect from your aunt or grandma. Talk
about a meeting of cultures.

And I will say, it is reasons like this why it's important for people of color
to be in positions of power. Not that the Obama's are nothing more than their
skin--they're both accomplished and admirable way beyond that. But when was the
last time a black ballet troupe in London was rolled out to entertain
dignitaries? The Alvin Ailey group and Sweet Honey in the Rock have already
performed at the White House for the Obamas, which is cool.  What a great
opportunity to showcase even more the culture and accomplishments of Africans
wherever we may be.

And funny, they say the press has lost interest in Carla Bruni--and Michelle
Obama didn't even have to take her clothes off or cut an album to get
attention!

AP News

LONDON — Michelle Obama has done what few others have managed — getting Queen
Elizabeth II to break protocol. The first lady arrived Wednesday with President
Barack Obama. After separate meetings on the eve of the G-20 summit, the couple
attended an evening reception for world leaders hosted by the queen.

Mrs. Obama clearly made an impression with the 82-year-old monarch — so much
that the smiling queen strayed from protocol and put her arm around the first
lady in a rare public show of affection.

It was the first time Mrs. Obama — who is nearly a foot taller — had met the
queen. The first lady also embraced her.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman who asked not to be identified because of palace
policy said he could not remember the last time that the queen had displayed
such public affection with a first lady or dignitary.

"It was a mutual and spontaneous display of affection," he said. "We don't
issue instructions on not touching the queen."

When the former Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating put his arm around the
queen in 1992, the tabloids dubbed him the "Lizard of Oz." When his successor,
John Howard, was accused of doing the same, a spokesman insisted: "We firmly
deny that there was any contact whatsoever." In 2007, President Bush gave the
queen a sly wink during a visit she paid to the United States.

The Daily Mail said the "two women clearly took to each other."

Wednesday's reception was followed by a dinner at Prime Minister Gordon Brown's
Downing Street home, where the leaders' spouses were joined by notable British
women, including "Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling and Olympic gold medal
runner Kelly Holmes.

"Michelle walks in and she is as she seems," Holmes told reporters Thursday.
"So warm, engaging, a beautiful, beautiful lady — and I quickly got my photo in
the middle of her and Sarah Brown," the prime minister's wife.

Mrs. Obama also seemed to win over the often feral British press.

The last time a first lady made such a hit in Britain was last year with French
President Nicolas Sarkozy's wife, the former fashion model wife and songwriter
Carla Bruni. But on Thursday, London's Times newspaper wrote "Carla who?"

The BBC described Mrs. Obama as her husband's co-star rather than supporting
act — appropriate for a Harvard-educated lawyer.

"She seems to be a good role model," said onlooker Rebecca Smith, who waited
outside Buckingham Palace Wednesday to catch a glimpse of the Obamas.

"A strong, intelligent woman, I think she'll go down very well here," Smith
told the BBC. "Michelle Obama has a strong aura about her, a bit like
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis."

Mrs. Obama attended a rehearsal at the Royal Opera House on Thursday with the
other spouses and guests. The program included music by Handel and a dance
performance by Ballet Black, a troupe set up to give performing opportunities
to black and Asian classical dancers.

Wearing a bright blue dress by Jason Wu — who designed her inauguration gown —
Mrs. Obama posed for photographs with Sarah Brown, Therese Rein, wife of
Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso's wife
Chikako Aso, and Laureen Harper, who is married to Canadian Prime Minister
Stephen Harper, on the stage of the opera house.

Mrs. Obama had other events in London planned for later Thursday. She visited a
cancer center with other spouses Wednesday.