From: votomguy <votom...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RE][scifinoir2] Is Octavia Butler underrated in mainstream sci-fi
press?
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, June 25, 2009, 2:22 PM

She wasn't what got me into scifi, but she did inspire me to start writing
scifi. I remember my mom bringing home Adulthood Rites for me and being so
excited that there were actually black people that wrote scifi. Adulthood Rites
was the only book that she wrote. (what can I say I cut my scifi teeth on
Battletech Novels) She did inspire me to believe that black people could not
only write scifi, but get it published as well. While her style of scifi may
not be my cup of tea, that doesn't stop me from including her in the greats. I
can't stand Assimov (I think he's a little overrated) but he's up there.
At least, Octavia Butler never got too full of herself. (cough cough Heinlein
cough)