You make a good point, but remember that even Vietnam wasn't heavily covered in
movies until much later. Most of the films tended to focus on the 'crazy
ex-Vietnam" soldier. And again, the controversy over 'Nam was another reason it
was avoided for years; hence "MASH" took place in Korea, even though everyone
knew the creators were thinking about 'Nam.

The movie you're thinking about is "The Hurt Locker", which has gotten great
reviews. I want to see it. But one more time, even that is more of a movie
focused on the day-to-day of the soldiers' lives, the human drama at the heart
of any war. Movies like "In the Valley of Elah"  and "Rendition" tried to
capture that on the homefront, but audiences didn't show. People unfortunately
want big battles, lots of explosions--spectacle.   I think that you're right
that more media coverage might make the struggles more immediate and perhaps
even exciting, but still think that the detachment Americans feel, the
controversy over them, and the relatively confined nature of the campaigns
makes Hollywood say "nah". At best they're trying to figure out how to copy and
top the Hurt Locker's success. I bet suits are right now trying to figure out
how they can bring Brad Pitt and a Tarentino take to Afghanistan or Iraq.

More's the pity, because hundreds of thousands of US soldiers, support, and
family are impacted every moment of every day, and H'Wood can't be bothered.