Even Adult Swim is on Conan's side....
Conan's O'Brien's $40 Million Muzzle

Posted by: Patricia O'Connell on January 19

It looks like Conan O’Brien isn’t getting a golden parachute, but a golden
muzzle<http://tv.gawker.com/5451462/as-letterman-hits-back-obrien-calls-nbc-executives-incompetent-morons-and-leno-skirts-blame-conans-show-was-not-doing-well?skyline=true&s=i&autoplay=true>.
Is it worth it? The Tonight Show host (for now) has gotten a lot of
mileage—and improved ratings <http://cdinsight.com/news.php?readmore=3872>—out
of poking fun at NBC, et al, over the mess about moving the show’s time
slot.

And I admit watching Conan skewer his employers and colleague/competitor Jay
Leno has been part of the great fun in watching Conan of late. But what will
happen when he can’t do that anymore?

It looks like NBC will pay Conan O’Brien $40 million
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704541004575011482898148788.html>to
walk away from The Tonight Show because of Conan’s refusal to move the time
of the show to 12:05 am. One of the apparent stipulations of the deal with
NBC is that Conan refrain from bad-mouthing the network (and I assume “the
network” also means Jay Leno and Jeff Zucker, two favorite O’Brien targets
of late). I know I haven’t been alone in being fascinated by this corporate
drama/train wreck. And I think part of the reason we’ve enjoyed it so much
is there’s been a certain vicarious thrill in watching Conan trash his
employer so publicly (and with such biting but still funny humor).

Who hasn’t wanted, on some occasion, to do so? I’ve been pretty lucky in my
career. For the most part, I’ve worked for people and companies that were
good to me and I respected, and I’ve had lots of great colleagues (and when
I didn’t, that was pre-Twitter). But everyone has wanted to stick it to
their boss/company at some point, and rail about egregious unfairness,
stupid decisions, how badly we’ve been treated, and undeserving colleagues.
And for a while there, Conan was venting for all of us. It was fun while it
lasted. …

What if Conan were to get $20 million from, say, Fox, and not have to take
NBC’s deal along with its muzzle? (Yes, I know, most severance packages
contain some proviso that you not trash the company giving you your walking
papers. But most of us don’t get humiliated by our employers publicly,
either.) Trashing NBC would get old after a while, and would make Conan seem
bitter. But it would be fun to know that he just might be able to throw a
zinger every so often, when the situation warrants.

So, what's the takeway for people who aren't managing networks or
negotiating $40 million severance packages? Treat employees with dignity and
fairness. Not an original insight, but still a useful one.