Good question, but I live in the South too, and I can't honestly say I've seen
such a huge number of black women hook up with dudes who might as well be in
the Klan. I think the level of racism in Thornton and his dad in the movie is
one of my problems: most black women would have bolted. Do I know some who
wouldn't? Sure, but like I said, that particular segment of society--black
women who date virulently racist white men--isn't the largest part of black
culture. I'm more concerned about showing the struggles of black men and women
trying to make it together, as that's still the greater part of black society.

As for whether it's worse for a black woman to hook up with a racist or a
disrespectful brother? Hmmm...can't say I've ever done a comparison of that.
Speaking as a black man, whatever other problems I might have with the opposite
sex, i wouldn't want to be bringing racism into the mix. I'd *never* hook up
with a white woman who thought my people were inferior even in the smallest
part. It's pretty darn hard to purge one's psyche of deep-seated racism. I've
known many black men and women who've gotten with whites who are prejudiced,
and it turns my stomach. Even when they "love" the black people, they feel that
have a free pass to make little racist jokes, call their loved one the n-word
(happened in front of me once, I almost lost it). And often, their families can
be even worse. I have a friend right now who's dating someone from the Deep
South, and that person feels comfortable making all kinds of negative comments
about black people. That person's family is straight-out bigoted, and don't get
the "mixing". All other things being equal, whatever other problems you might
have with a significant other or their family, it'd be nice to take racism off
the list.