From: "Kelwyn" <ravena...@yahoo.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 4:56:28 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: "Avatar" Keeps Rolling on Worldwide

I'll tell you why the dissemination of Stepin Fetchit is more insidious than
"Birth of a Nation." It is more insidious because it is "benign." "Birth of a
Nation" (1915) is one vile movie which, even at its height, was seen by
relatively small proportion of the nation's populace (due to lack of
distribution and movie screens available in 1915). Lincoln Perry made FIFTY-TWO
movies between 1925 and 1976 - movies that had much more currency than "Nation"
ever had. Further, again unlike "Nation," which became a cinematic pariah and
was rarely seen, Perry's movies became a staple of early afternoon and late
night televison in the fifties and the sixties - further disseminating the lie
of "the laziest man in the world."

Many more politicians and employers were polluted by Perry's fifty-two movies
than by "Birth of a Nation."

But, not to lose sight of my original assertion, "Birth of a Nation" is still a
notable cinematic accomplishment - in spite of its content.

~rave!