This is freakin' awesome! Who says you need to go to outer space to find alien
environments? This reminds me of innumerable scifi films I've seen over the
years with similar settings...

This is definitely worth taking a look at. Click on the pics for a larger view.

*************************
http://www.stormchaser.ca/Caves/Naica/Naica.html

The Crystal Cave of Giants was accidentally discovered in 2000 by miners
working in the silver and lead mine at Naica, Mexico. It lies almost 300 meters
(900 feet) below the surface of the Earth and it contains the largest crystals
known in the world, by far. The largest crystals are over 11 meters long (36
feet) and weigh 55 tons.

The crystals themselves are made of selenite which is crystallized gypsum, the
same material used in drywall construction. Except these crystals formed over a
span of about half a million years in a hot water solution, saturated with
minerals. The the temperature inside the cave remained very consistently hot
for the entire time the crystals were growing.

It is still incredibly hot in the cave due its proximity to a magma chamber,
deep underground. The air temperature is 50C with a relative humidity of over
90%, making the air feel like an unbearable 105C (228F) Entering the cave
without special protective suits can be fatal in 15 minutes. I will be entering
the cave wearing a special cooling suit with chilling packs inside and a
specialized backpack respirator which will allow me to breath chilled air. Even
with all this equipment, I will still only be able to stay in the cave for no
more than 45 minutes at a time.

In extreme heat, the body begins to lose higher brain functions which made the
expedition much more difficult with the risk of falling into deep pits, or
being impaled on a sharp crystal. All the camera gear needs to be slowly
brought up to temperature beforehand by pre-heating it and most cameras with
moving parts and tape mechanisms simply will not work at all.

It is as dangerous as it is beautiful.

When the call comes over the radio to get out... It is time to go.
Climbing up onto one of the larger crystals.
When we first arrived at the Naica mine, Manuel and his crew took us inside
without wearing the special cooling suits. This was in order to get us used to
what REAL heat is like. There is a steel door protecting the cave and as soon
as you pass through it, the temperature hits you like a truck, but as soon as
you get your first glimpse of the incredible crystals, you want to keep going
deeper. We were inside for only 14 minutes, which was pushing the danger limits
without cooling suits. When we exited, the staging area was a "cool" 41
Celsius. My heart was pounding and I was completely soaked in sweat, my shirts,
pants, socks & boots... Everything. All we could do was sit, drink and rest.

The next day, the real exploration began. We had left our camera gear inside
the cave the night before, sealed up in air tight bags so that it could slowly
warm up to the ambient temperature of the cave. Without doing this, all the
gear would fog up, form a layer of condensation and become totally useless.