From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:44:26 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] "Samurai" on History Channel Tonight

Keith, I would've thought that about British actors as well, but Robert
Carlyle's interview just before SG:U began, in which he said that he was done
with British fillmaking, sounded a note for me that struck odd, until I got a
little more insight into just how H'Wood-like the UK has become in film and TV
production. There, like here, it's the low-budget stuff that still showcases
the best performances and stories.

As for the external TARDIS redesign, don't count on it. They tried it briefly
during the -- Seventh Doctor's run, if memory serves, with a faulty chaemeleon
circuit that might make the TARDIS materialize as a hat stand in the middle of
Trafalgar.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Keith Johnson < keithbjohn...@comcast.net >
wrote:

I still wish Eccleston had stayed for at least three or four years. I like
Tenant, but in many ways I like Eccleston better. And nowadays, being in scifi
isn't as much of a stranglehold as it was back in the Star Trek or Buck Rogers
days. Many scifi actors get gigs doing get dramatic or comedic work on good TV
shows (Shatner on Boston Legal, Jeri Ryan on ....everything). Scott Bakula did
"Quantum Leap" and "Enterprise", yet has done movies ("The Informant!" with
Matt Damon) as well as a series, "Men of a Certain Age", on TNT. And I'd think
especially for British actors, their skills would be so in demand that playing
in scifi for a while wouldn't hurt at all.

So...is the Tardis redesign internal only, or will they actually get rid of the
exterior police box as an anachronism?

In a way, the whole conversation about the police box not working is off base,
because, throughout most of his journeys in time and space, it'd stand out. So,
replacing it with any other static object would still result in it being an
oddity in, say, the 1500's or on another planet. the only thing I can see is if
they restore it's true ability to camouflage itself to reflect any object
appropos to the place and the time the Doctor is currently visiting.

Maybe they can restore the police box when he's actually moving through time
and space, perhaps, say that it's somehow the default template, and the Tardis
has to return to the box when using power to travel?