From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 12:33:32 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Brutal Book War remedy: Book Clubs

There are a couple of these meeting at the Borders just up the road from me.
Never felt compelled to join in, though.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Kelwyn < ravena...@yahoo.com > wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-borders20-2010mar20,0,7054811.story

The chain lets book groups know they are welcome to meet at its stores. The
move is aimed at boosting sales amid intense competition from online vendors
and big retailers such as Wal-Mart and Target.

By Sandra M. Jones

March 20, 2010

Chicago

In the increasingly brutal book wars, Borders Group Inc. is learning what
coffeehouses long have known: Encourage shoppers to think of you as a home away
from home and they'll spend more, maybe even become regulars.

To spur that feeling, Borders quietly unveiled a program last month that
invites book clubs to convene at its cafes instead of in members' homes. The
step is geared toward helping the money-losing bookstore chain drum up sales
and reshape itself into a local gathering place instead of a faceless
superstore.