From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:47:06 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Keith, I could see that as equally troublesome. What if the folks they're
fleeing from decide to come after them, for some reason?

Martin (pessimism in full bloom)

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Keith Johnson < keithbjohn...@comcast.net >
wrote:

I don't think so. Look at the history of Earth: so many technologically
superiour races have exploited and destroyed others. Advanced tech can't make
up for the loss of key materials or extinguished lifeforms. What if, like
Europeans, they simply want to expand to new shores due to overcrowding, or a
big group wants a new planet to pursue their unique religious/political ideas
outside of the home world?