Hi,

> Unfortunately the Matlab source you derived from has an incompatible license
> with ours: it is GPL v3+.  That license is 'viral' meaning it applies also to
> derivative works, thus your Python translation is also under the GPL v3+.
>
> There is no way around this. As a result we can't include that port in
> scikit-image without relicensing the entire project.

Developers who are using GPL licenses are not evil. It is possible to
explain the situation and to kindly ask the permission to reuse the code
to port it in Python. The original author has the full rights to do
that. I had to face a license issue several times and we could find a
satisfactory compromise for everyone all the time.

Best.
François.