I think you're right, it might be quite a big of a hack... :-)

Anyway, if any of the main developers think it might be worth enabling this
kind of extensibility (handle different variables types) to the tree
implementation I'd be more than happy to contribute under limited
direction. Otherwise, I will code a more modest multivariable tree from
scratch to solve my immediate needs.

Thanks all for your suggestions,
Pablo