Theoretical justifications of using kernel PCA is that the data needs to be
projected onto span of eigenvectors of a covariance matrix (section 3.1.4
of Kulis' survey
<http://web.cse.ohio-state.edu/~kulis/pubs/ftml_metric_learning.pdf>). Does
kernel approximation whiten the data?

Either way, apparently, there's no justification to use kernel
approximation with ITML, since even the regular KPCA trick doesn't apply to
it.