Hi Dave,

  In the beginning of the Internet, there was a guy (whose name I can't
remember) who published a periodical (I wouldn't call it a magazine but
sort of) called 'ConneXions'... It featured articles (papers) by such
luminaries as Marshall Rose, Vint Cerf, etc. discussing layers and
protocols. It's theme was 'interoperability' and in fact it was the
pre-cursor of the 'Interop' trade show.... The guy that started ConneXions
also started the Interop...

  I think that the same model could easily be applied to smartcards and
that this is a good forum for doing so...

Dave Sims