OK, the work is done - I've written out the words to 'The Virginian
Maid's Lament', and the complete Peter Buchan note on the shipping of
child slaves from Aberdeen to the New World colonies. It is to long
post, so please click on the URL below - it is very plain text and has
no links, and you won't get trapped in my website as there is no back
link from this file.

http://www.maxwellplace.demon.co.uk/pandemonium/scotslaves.html

I am not able to find where I read that this trade mainly involved
Gaelic speakers, tinkers, children of itinerant Highland families etc.
Buchan's note implies that it might well have involved ANY children, of
ANY families. Given the strong family ties present in any town, even as
big as Aberdeen, and the propensity of families for direct revenge it
seems unlikely that the kidnappers would have preyed on their
neighbours, or their neighbours' relatives.

David