> Are you really comparing being a Negro-driver to working for a brokerage
> firm? That latter might be closer to being an exiseman. But a slave owner?
> OK, maybe you were only kidding...
> Rob

I was kidding... though as I think about it now it's not entirely off-base, since in
the
context of Burns' times the slave trade and slave agriculture were for many people
just
another form of business. And I do think people in need find it easier to consider
actions
they find immoral when people around them find those actions normal and acceptable. I
suppose I would rather think of Burns that way than as a simple hypocrite who
exploited a
moment of pathos to make "The Slave's Lament."

Susan

Susan