John Erdman wrote:

> FWIW -
>
> The tune you provided below is not the same as the  version provided
> in any of the Lomax references I have.  The same tune, of course, but
> your's in more "musically complex" than either of the Lomax's.

Phillips Barry in BFSSNE, 1934, misquoted the title of "The
Streets of Laredo" in Carl Sandburg's 'The American Songbag',
1927, p. 263, as "The Cowboy's Lament", so I overlooked that
tune as stemming from "The Unfortunate Rake". According to Barry
two other early American tunes stemming from it are "St. James
Hospital" (A and B) in Sharp and Karpeles 'English Folk Songs
from the Southern Appalachians'. Other early ones are in the
Journal of American Folklore.

Bruce Olson
--
Old English, Irish and, Scots: popular songs, tunes, broadside
ballads at my website (no advs-spam, etc)- www.erols.com/olsonw