Hello everyone on Strathspey and Scots-L,

This is an idea I've had for a couple of months and thought it was time to act
on it.

To those who have even the remotest idea of what I'm like, it's no secret that I
am a fan of the late Sir Jimmy Shand.  So, as a small tribute to arguably one of
the most influential personalities of Scottish Dance Music (and Scottish music
and Dance music generally), I thought it might be interesting to conduct a poll
of your favourite tracks and compile a "Top 20" from those most frequently
submitted.

The sort of information I'd like to include is Track Name, Album Title (if
applicable) and Catalogue Number (UK if possible).

Private or list replies are OK (as long as the rest of the list doesn't mind) as
I check both lists each day.

Please limit the number of your favourite tracks to 5.  I know that may be hard
for some of you (it was for me!), but don't forget that someone else may submit
a track that you've left out and it may end up on the final list anyway.  They
don't have to be in order of preference either as I'm not weighting any of the
submissions (you know, 5 points for first on the list, 4 for second, 3 for
third, etc).  If you put in 5 tracks, each will gain one vote in the final
analysis.

I figured about a month for replies would be enough time and then a week
afterwards to compile the data.  That being the case, submissions would need to
be in by 13 June and the list would be published approx. 20 June.

What do you all think?  I don't know what use the final list would be after it's
compiled, but, if for no other reason, it would satisfy my curiosity as to how
everyone remembers the great man musically.

I'll get the ball rolling with my 5 favourites ...

"Miss Cahoon's Reel" (Parlophone 78 - F3428)
"March Strathspey & Reel (Drunken Piper, etc)" (Regal-Zonophone 78 - MR 1388)
"The Dundee Reel" ("Awa' Frae Hame" - Parlophone PCS 3048)
"Donald Bane" ("Jimmy's Fancy" - Parlophone PMC 1144)
"The Balmoral Strathspey" (Parlophone 45 single - R5188)

Let me know what you think (privately or via the list).  I look forward with
interest to the suggestions.

David South,
Geelong, Victoria, Australia.