A singer friend of mine learned a version of the song "Lovely Molly"
which starts:

I once was a ploughboy but a soldier I'm now
I hae courted wi' Lovely Molly as I followed the plough
I hae courted wi' Lovely Molly at the age of sixteen
But now I must leave her and serve James, my King.

She learnt it from the singing of Lizzie Higgins and is nervously
looking forward to performing it in a song competition at one of the
festivals. I think it's perfectly suitable, but someone has thrown
doubt on its Scottish provenance, and she's wondering about it. Does
anyone know of any other versions apart from Lizzie Higgins's?

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]