At 11:08 PM 5/29/01 +0100, you wrote:
>A singer friend of mine learned a version of the song "Lovely Molly"
>which starts:
>
>I once was a ploughboy but a soldier I'm now
>I hae courted wi' Lovely Molly as I followed the plough
>I hae courted wi' Lovely Molly at the age of sixteen
>But now I must leave her and serve James, my King.
>
>She learnt it from the singing of Lizzie Higgins and is nervously
>looking forward to performing it in a song competition at one of the
>festivals. I think it's perfectly suitable, but someone has thrown
>doubt on its Scottish provenance, and she's wondering about it. Does
>anyone know of any other versions apart from Lizzie Higgins's?
>
>--
>Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/gatherer/
>
>Posted to Scots-L - The Traditional Scottish Music & Culture List - To
http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html

Hi Nigel,
     There's another version of this song, with slightly different lyrics
in the album by Dolores Keane and John Faulkner called "Broken Hearted I
Wander."  Since I happen to be blind, I can't look up if the liner notes
say anything interesting, sorry.

     I think it's a nice version anyway--definitely an Irish album.

Regards,
Pat Holub