De-lurk and tell about Keith Festival? Where would I begin? I had such a
good time I could not possibly cover it here. Lets see - highlights were:
the sounds of Marie-Louise Napier's clarsach floating around Reidhaven
Square on Sunday afternoon; Geordie Murison singing "Drumdelgie nae mair", a
wonderful, moving song about the decline of the great farm toun (the lyrics
are from a poem by the late great Doric poet, Ian Middleton); The Sangsters
singing "Ca' the Yowes" and the brilliant "Dyker's compliments"; the hugely
popular Chorus Quaich competition taking the roof off the Plough; Alex Green
being just as raunchy and inspired as ever; Jim Reid leading the whole
audience singing his Wild Geese; Pete Shepheard, Arthur Watson and Tam
Spiers singing "Tatties and Herring" in amazingly masculine harmony; Gordon
Pattullo (almost) changing my mind about the accordion by playing "Furrow's
End" and "The Flying Scotsman"; and hours of competitions full of young and
extremely enthusiastic people - I could go on for ages but won't.

As for me, I have been around traditional Scottish and Irish music all my
life. I was taken to sessions and my dad's folk group rehearsals in the
carry cot and knew many more songs at the age of three than I do now. I took
the usual adolescent route of contempt for the music and only started
returning to it when I heard the Pogues, the Oyster Band and Edward II at
the age of about 20 and realised I knew half the songs I was hearing
already. Still, it took me 15 years to do anything about it. Last year I
joined ALP in Edinburgh to learn pennywhistle from a certain Mr Gatherer,
which I enjoy immensely. I also sing a bit and am learning and re-learning
as many
songs as I can.

I have had access to the internet for about a year and in that time I have
realised what a lot there is to learn about traditional music. That is why I
lurk - because I don't have anything like the knowledge of people on this
list! But I have already learned a lot and will continue to lurk and learn.

But if anyone wants to know anything about Keith Festival...