>Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:11:23 +0100
>From: Nigel Gatherer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [scots-l] Is there anybody there? (was: Dumbarton's drum)
>
>OK, lurkers, your time has come. All you folks who have never (or
>rarely) contribute to the list, speak now. Introduce yourselves, tell
>us something about yourselves. Where are you? What is your interest in
>Scots music?

Ok, I'll bite!

I'm Janice from Georgia, USA.  I'm striving to play the fiddle, and some
days it's a real battle!  I'd love to be able to play for Scottish Country
Dances/English Country Dances/contradances, and maybe I'll be able to do at
least one of the above in this lifetime!

I also like tunes from Northumberland, and am currently suffering from
Northumbrian smallpipes lust, characterized by a desperate and hopeless
craving for a set of NSP's.  Which I can't afford.  And don't have time to
learn.  And want anyway.

The most recent CD I listened to with keen enjoyment was "Scratch and
Sniff" by Hoover the Dog.  Ok, so it's not Scottish.  But it's wonderful
and witty and quite well done.  I particularly liked the Telemann piece
that starts out as a fiddle/accordion duet, and then has the bouzouki come
in on the third part.

BTW, one of the tunes on that CD is Whinham's Reel -- anybody got the ABCs
for that?

Cheers--

Janice in GA