"Tracy, tell us about the Keith festival. David K, what are your plans
for the Scottfest? Ross, how long have you been playing? Eric, is Bob
still fiddling? Kate, how is David's career going? Gaye, did you ever
play music with Jim Tweedie? Philip, are you from the Kelso area
originally? Dan, d'you play Scots music on the mandolin? Bruce, Sue,
Tom, Rita, Charlie, Janice, Jack, John C, Keith...come on guys, let's
have a party....."

Well Nigel

Bob (Hopkirk) doesn't fiddle these days as far as I know.  I saw him last at
the Borders Fiddle CD launch where he played a few numbers with all of the
grace and expression but sadly now none of the power.  To the best of my
knowledge that's the last performance he's given, despite encouragement to
play again.  Such a loss.

As for me I read the list as ever, but contribute very little now.  Maybe as
time goes on the same sorts of topics come round and I don't think I've
anything new to say.  I see the old Celtic/Scottish thing re-emerging - well
I got into that debate the last time.  Others can put their views now if
they wish to extend this thread again.  Good to see Charlie Gore making a
contribution again though.  For the record I think "Celtic" describes
perfectly well the family of musics (?) generally associated with the term.
I don't reject a term simply because the marketing men and women have got a
hold of it - otherwise I'd never use the word "new".

I've been playing the fiddle for about seven years now.  I have the
privilege of having Iain Fraser as my teacher.  I love Scottish music with a
passion.  My current favourite tune is "The Dean Brig of Edinburgh".  I find
the place half-way up our stairs where the acoustics are best and play it
over and over again.  I'm off to play it now.

Cheers

Eric