[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Would anyone be able to tell me what the title "Weary Pund o' Tow" means?
> Its the title of a slow air from Gow's 3rd Repository.  A pity that
> apparently no one knows anymore the answer to Jack's question about the title
> "Cameron's Got His Wife Back Again"-- I'll bet it was a good story once.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Kuntz
> Posted to Scots-L - The Traditional Scottish Music & Culture List - To
>subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to: http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html

There's another song that's related to "Weary Pund o' Tow". It's called
"Wary Bachelors" in Jean Thomas's, 'Devil's Ditties', 1931.

The 3rd and 4th verses closely parallel verses in "Weary Pund" (SMM
#350). 3rd and 4th verses:

I bought my wife ten pound of flax
As good as ever growed
And out of that she hackled me
One single pound of tow.

Beware of a pound of tow
Before it is begun
I am afraid my wife will end her life
Before the tow is spun.

Bruce Olson

--
Old British Isles popular and folk songs, tunes, broadside
ballads at my no-spam website - www.erols.com/olsonw or

Motto: Keep it up; muddling through always works.