Jack Campin wrote:

> > Would anyone be able to tell me what the title "Weary Pund o' Tow"
> > means?  Its the title of a slow air from Gow's 3rd Repository.
>
> Tow is wool in its unspun state.  A pound of it represents one hell of
> a lot of work ahead in spinning it.

> Posted to Scots-L - The Traditional Scottish Music & Culture List - To
>subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to: http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html

"Tarry woo' is ill to spin" is another Scots song popular with women
demonstraitors of carding, combing, spinning, and weaving.

Bruce Olson

--
Old British Isles popular and folk songs, tunes, broadside
ballads at my no-spam website - www.erols.com/olsonw or

Motto: Keep it up; muddling through always works.