Keith W Dunn wrote:

> Does anyone know the story behind this tune?  I've read that it's
> either a Shetland or Orkney tune but what about the author?  And....does
> anyone have a gif or jpg file of it that they could send to me off list?
> If so......send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I've searched the net through Google and wasn't able to find much at all.
> I heard Alasdair Frasers version and liked it quiet a bit but as I said,
> I haven't been able to find any information on it or a gif \ jpg file
> anywhere.  I don't have an abc conversion program.
>
> Also, I read that it was somehow associated to "Trowie" tunes.  So, there
> must be more.  Does anyone have a list of "Trowie or Trow" tunes?
>
> Keith Dunn

According to the liner notes for Return to Kintail, Alasdair learned the
tune from Buddy MacMaster.  I assume it came to the Cape Breton tradition
via the Skye Collection (Keith Norman MacDonald, 1887) in which a slightly
different version is published as "The Perrie Werrie"; there's no info there
as to its origin, unfortunately.  The Cape Breton setting of the tune is
included in Jerry Holland's Second Collection (also listed as The Perrie
Werrie).  Sorry I don't have a file for you, but I do highly recommend JH's
2nd collection, and The Skye Collection for that matter.  There's info on
both publications at Cranford Publishing's website at
http://www.cranfordpub.com/index.htm .

Regarding abc conversion programs; on my Mac I use BarFly, which is freeware
written by Phil Taylor.  I can't say enough good things about it; I discover
new and handy features almost every time I use it! -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- Concord, CA