> Does anyone know the story behind this tune?  I've read that it's
> either a Shetland or Orkney tune but what about the author?

It was first published by the Gows.  According to the AUP Scots dictionary,
the phrase "peerie-weerie" (a small creature) dates from the 19th century
and is found in Shetland and Perthshire; Perthshire is surely more likely
from both the Gow connection and the idiom of the tune.

> And....does anyone have a gif or jpg file of it that they could send to
> me off list?  If so......send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED] [...]
> I don't have an abc conversion program.

If you have a Mac, get Barfly, it's free.  And it'll run on Macs of such
low spec that you should be able to pick the computer up for free too.
There are free ABC printing and MIDIfying programs for Unix/Linux.  For
a tune this simple you don't really need a program, you can read the ABC
directly like Nigel Gatherer does.

X:1
T:The Perrie Werrie
N:Reel
B:NLS Acc.11516/9 (John Wotherspoon's Book, 1840)
N:a fiddle MS from GS MacLennan's papers
N:I think this was copied from Malcolm Keith's collection
M:C
L:1/8
K:C % C lydian signature in the book
c|B(GG>)A  G>AGc|B(GG>)B gdec|BGGA   G>AGB|AFFA c3:|
A|B(dd>)e ~d>edc|B(dd>)e gdec|Bdd>e ~d>edB|AFFA c3A|
  B(dd>)e  dedc |Bdde    g3 d|gbeg   dgBd |AFFA c3|]

> Also, I read that it was somehow associated to "Trowie" tunes.  So,
> there must be more.  Does anyone have a list of "Trowie or Trow" tunes?

It would be if it were a Shetland tune, which I don't think it is.
You can find a bunch of Shetland fairy tunes (in ABC) on my website.
I didn't realize when coding them that they were all available in
"Da Mirrie Dancers", or I might not have bothered.