Jack Campin wrote:

> > Aloys Fleischmann wrote an article which mentioned the similarity between
> > 'Bumper Squire Jones' and 'The Rummer' from one of John Playford's volumes.
> > 'Rummer' and 'Anacreon' are also similar, but I don't believe that one tune
> > necessarily led directly to the other. All of these tunes are different,
> > but they are what you might call generically related, in style, phrasing,
> > melodic range, rhythm, etc..  These tunes are of a certain type, used for
> > drinking songs in the 17th & 18th centuries.   [...]
> > I good question to pose: These tunes are English &/or Irish.  Are there
> > any of this type that hail from Scotland?
>
> I am struggling to see any resemblance at all between "Bumper Squire Jones"
> and "Anacreon"...
>
> If the relevant feature of "Anacreon" is taking off into the stratosphere
> right at the start, "Good Night and [Joy/God] Be With You All" is a Scottish
> example, and probably the most-performed song at Scottish drinking bouts
> until the early 19th century.
>
> =================== <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> ===================
>
> Posted to Scots-L - The Traditional Scottish Music & Culture List - To
>subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to: http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html

Stressed note coding shows no silimarity among any 2 of the
following tunes (see my website for coding method). The last two are
drinking song tunes, one major and the other minor. "The Anacreontic
Song"
was printed without muusic in 'The Vocal Magazine', 1778.

33451711,00006060,6/4,Fc,Rummer, Dancing Master, 7th ed. (1686)

11636215,00333000,6/8,Cc,Charles O'Connor, O'Sullivan's Carolan

31344431,00000006,6/8,Dc,Squire Jones, Hime's New Selection, Dublin, c
1805 [Not in Hime's collection of Carolan's tunes]

33323235,30000003,6/4,Aa,Anacreontic Song,single sheet song-
Longman and Broderip, c 1780

Bruce Olson

PS: See Scarce Songs 2 on my website for several texts and tunes of
"Goodnight and God/Joy be with you a'", as well as the Irish "The
Parting Glass" which draws heavily from it.

Old British Isles popular and folk songs, tunes, broadside
ballads at my no-spam website - www.erols.com/olsonw or
just <A href="http://www.erols.com/olsonw";> Click </a>

Motto: Keep it up; muddling through always works.