Jack Campin wrote:

> The octaving signs are the main problem; the lower one doesn't occur
> in ASCII...

That's a nail in its coffin then. I've always been interested in solfa
and have made a couple of half-hearted attempts to become proficient at
it. When I discovered ABC I saw a strong relationship between them:
both can convey music using tools which are easily accessed (in solfa,
a typewriter or pen and paper; in ABC, a computer keyboard or pen and
paper), or so I thought. If solfa can't be conveyed in ASCII what use
is it?

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]