> Muzak is precisely what this is beginning to sound like.  Does this 78
> come with a grass kilt and pineapple haggis?  :D

You are underestimating the role of the slide guitar in Scottish music.  Very
popular among the island peoples of our Northern shores, notably prominent on
recordings of Addie Harper and the Wick Band.  Anyone who knows Wick will
understand how the tropical locale lends itself to this.  Indeed the misnomer
of 'Hawaiian' music masks an important regional style.

I think it refutes all these daft arguments about Cape Breton being the
repository of much that has been lost of True Scottish Music- it has no
Hawaiian guitar tradition, although when their piano players get excited,
they use a slide technique on the keyboard.

Cue David Kilpatrick with photos of cherubs in Hawaiian shirts and sunglasses
in the crypt of Roslin Chapel.

Finally, I think if this is your Grandad's only problem, he is a lucky man. It
can be treated these days.

Derek