John Chambers wrote:

> Nigel Gatherer writes:
> | I've just gathered the ones I've kept...do you think I should ask
> | permission from the Z: names?

> Well,  I  wouldn't  expect  that  you  should  have  to   hunt   down
> transcribers  for  things  posted to a mailing list.  I'd think there
> would be an assumption that tunes posted to a  list  like  this  will
> naturally  be  saved and played by the readers.  Why would you post a
> tune here, after all?

I know, it was a dumb question, but some people can be touchy about it
(are you there, Jack?).

> One thing that's a bit of a bother is that people post ABC tunes that
> lack  things  like  the S and Z lines.

I've done as much as I can on that, adding Z: lines to all of them,
based on the internet headers or sigs in the original emails. Most
tunes posted to Scots-L do give sources, so it wasn't very difficult.

> It's probably a good idea for any online tune archive  to  include  a
> notice  that  if  any of the tunes are copyrighted, the owners should
> contact...you should offer to remove tunes if the  owner objects...

That seems sensible to me.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]