On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Nigel Gatherer wrote:

> As for dancers not knowing the difference between a reel and a jig: why
> on earth should they? I can't see that it's very relevant to how they
> dance. One plays 2 or 4 notes to the beat, the other 3, but the beat
> remains the same, doesn't it?

Actually, it does matter a bit.  As Ian has pointed out (referring to
strathspey steps, but it applies to most of the steps used in dancing to
reels and jigs as well), a step has four "bits", roughly
step-close-step-and; and where they fit on the music is different for reel
and for jig.  (It's right that the "step" bits come on what you refer to
as the "beats" if I'm understanding properly;  but the other bits matter.)
I believe that's the main reason that jig music is preferred
for teaching the "skip-change-of-step", and reel for the "pas de basque".
In the end, both steps have to be done to either kind of music, and
_should_ be slightly different depending on the music.

Enjoying the discussion,

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB