Thought I'd put in my 2 cents.  Strathspeys, as danced by RSCDS dancers,
are done with two beats to the measure, thus 60 is about correct,
although a little bit slow in my experience (I would usually figure
about 62 for a strthspey.)  Reels and jigs are danced, again, as two
beats per measure, but nearly twice as fast, so 112-118 would be about
right.  However, highland strathspeys and Cape Breton strathspeys are
usually 4 beats per measure, and are thus twice as fast or faster.  In
Cape Breton stepdancing, dancers often start up with a strathspey and go
into the reel.  The beat for the reel is usually slower than the beat
for the strathspey at the time of transition.

Of course, what I've indicated is true regardless of how the tune is
notated.  It's the beat per measure that counts.

John, who plays for dancers from time to time.