>                         A hermitage would originally have been the home
> of a hermit, or holy man who placed himself in seclusion for religious
> reasons.  As such, they often became sacred sites at a late stage. I’m
> not sure why either Dunkeld or Lord Breadalbane should be associated
> with them.  The word isn’t specifically English – the Spanish equivalent
> is La Ermita, so it’s probably of Latin origin. Spain has hundreds of
> them, usually dedicated to local or national saints.

A book about hermits etc was serialised on BBC Radio 4 a few weeks ago.
>From my memory, the story goes something like this...

There is of course an ancient history of hermits, etc, often people of
religious persuasions.  The 'Hermitage' though comes from the court of Louis
XV, who had a retreat built as a place of refuge from the excesses of
Versailles. This supposedly simple and rustic retreat was called
L'Hermitage. It got popular, and bigger, as more hingers-on moved to be
close to their king...

>From this, a craze for such things spread across Europe, and a genuine
Hermitage became de rigeur for any aspiring aristo.  They sprung up like the
'follies'.  Usually a small stone thing, preferably cave-like and set in the
remotest part of one's estate. Visited a beauty a few weeks ago on the south
side of Loch Tay.

Those with sufficient cash would also employ a hermit. One such was taken
on, and offered wages and full board and lodging, on condition that he never
cut his hair or shave his beard.  He did a bunk shortly after getting his
first pay packet.

Not sure where hermits go these days, since all the lighthouses were made
automatic.

Derek