Anselm Lingnau wrote:

> Nigel Gatherer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > I been looking (fruitlessly) for some background to the tune
> > "Highland Cathedral"

> According to http://www.rampantscotland.com/let010818.htm:

> | The pipe-tune, amazingly, was written by two Germans...

Thanks, Anselm, that's just what I wanted.

Ian Brockbank wrote:

> ...I also heard unofficially that they were very tight with their
> copyright, so you have to get permission (and pay for it) to play it
> in public...

At this time of year I tentatively let my students choose tunes to do
in the classroom. Sometime the choices are wholly inappropriate, other
times they're ideal (last week was "Harvest Home"). So, one student
chose "Highland Cathedral", and we'll be doing it in the classroom, not
in public! Unless you've got a need for a whistle orchestra...

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]