> I been looking (fruitlessly) for some background to the tune
> "Highland Cathedral"

Anybody got a set of chords for it?  It's so different from any
Scottish tune I don't have much of a clue about what an appropriate
accompaniment might be like.

I doubt it's ever going to be my favourite tune, but it's one of the
centrepieces of the New Year's Day ritual in this village.  The local
Gothenburg-system pub funds the village brass band, and one of the
conditions is that the band plays in the pub on New Year's Day.  The
place turns into a giant sweat lodge, falling over is not an option,
and you see people wrestling their way towards the bar with notes
clenched between their teeth because getting their hands down to their
pockets would take five minutes' preparation.  When the crowd hits its
densest, the band strikes up Highland Cathedral.  A Highland piper
stands on the bar to play it along with them: the noise of people
talking is such that the first year I went I *couldn't hear him* from
twenty feet away.

I don't know if Hamish Henderson ever went but I imagine he'd have
liked it.