> book - The Galloway Album - published by Foss in which are four of his
> tunes. Strange from a musician's point of view, because all have four
> 6-bar sections. I've no doubt it makes perfect sense from a dancing
> p.o.v. - my woeful ignorance of dancing hampers me once again!

Actually, Foss's dance "Cairn Edward", for which these tunes were set, is
almost unique in SCD;  I know of just one other, "Tweedside", in RSCDS
Book 19, which is built on 6 bar phrases (it uses 3/4 tunes, and a
modified waltz step).  It _does_ make sense when you
try it out - an example of Foss's considerable insight and inventiveness.
The trouble is, there seem to be essentially no other tunes in this style
- I looked for another tune to go with Tweedside and its companion, Tam
Glen, without success.  Also, I wouldn't rush to compose a bunch of these
tunes;  the large part of the SCD community doesn't seem too interested in
this kind of innovation.  Thanks for the reference to The Galloway Album.

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB