On Mon, 6 May 2002, Nigel Gatherer wrote:

> Could the eightsome reel benefit from specially written measured tunes?
> It's just that whenever I've played for it we've played a series of
> reels AABBAB, giving 24 bars - it's difficult when you're not used to

(Is this one of those situations where the "bar" is in the ear of the
player, listener etc? - since I think of the central figure of the
eightsome as a 48 bar sequence.  Anyhow, ...)  The main figure of
the Eightsome Reel is actually made up of 8 bar bits, so 12 bar phrasing
would not likely be helpful for the dancers.  However, speaking for
myself, I think that reels that could be played ABBABB would be a good
choice for this dance.  I wonder whether that would be easier for the
musicans, too?

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB