Cynthia Cathcart wrote:

While we're talking about reels, and since there are a good smattering of fiddlers here, I will hazard another question: how fast are they usually played for dancers? One organization here in the States advertises the "actual" tempo of reels at 130-140 per half note/minim. Ignoring the fact that these settings are not on the standard metronome, is that lightening fast or what? Can our fiddlers really play reels that fast? Can people dance that fast??

How much variation in tempo would you think is acceptable for a reel played for listening? How slow can one take it before people start throwing things at you? Before Fiddlers start throwing things?

--Cynthia Cathcart

Well, in the preface to Skinner's _Harp and Claymore_, the editor, Gavin Greig, M.A., wrote regarding Strathspeys and reels,

"The tempo of the former is 1/2 note = 94 and the latter 1/2 note = 126. This represents 20 seconds for the Strathspey, and 15 for the Reel. These are the rates given by Mr. Skinner, and coincide with those given by G.F Graham. Mr. John Glenn makes the Strathspey somewhat slower."

For listening? My wife was practicing some Mozart at a tempo 1/2 note = 152, which is really fast. I was listening to a field recording of an American "Celtic" fiddler (on headphones in the next room), and his tempo exactly matched her metronome. It sounded very fast, but not really hurried or rushed.

Bob Rogers
South Carolina