Toby Rider wrote:
they don't  feel comfortable asking their peers, and don't have anyone
to go to for  lessons. I am talking about the boondocks here, not San
Francisco or D.C.  or Seattle or Boston.

 Okay, thanks for explaining your positions on this stuff. It's good that
we've come to some understanding about this topic. We do actually agree
on alot of this stuff. I'm not as anti-competition as I was before this
discussion started, and hopefully you understand where I am coming from

Boondocks! Here I am! Here I am!

I am thankfull for competitions. I don't compete, and I don't even watch the competitions, but if it weren't for the workshop that always precedes the competition, I would have essentially no exposure to real Scottish fiddlers (and American players in the Scottish style).

Except for you guys, of course. But there's only so much you can "get" about the fiddle through a computer monitor.

Bob
At the convergence of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.