Matt Seattle wrote:

Just found what I was looking for to answer the 3/2 hornpipe thread..

The same words are/were used for different musical forms at different times in
different places. Here's an extract from my Intro to The Master Piper (Wm
Dixon's tunes), it's quite long so delete now if this doesn't interest you:

The 3/2 measure is largely unfamiliar today, though there has been a revival
in interest in the last decade or so. My own first brush with it was John
Offord’s collection John of the Greeny Cheshire Way - The Famous “Double”
Hornpipes of Lancashire and Cheshire.

Just the idea of 3/2 makes me scratch my head and furrow my brow :-)
I take it that the 3/2 tunes were primarily Northumbrian/borders phenomenon?

--

- Toby A. Rider ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars tuned good 'n' firm-feelin' women" - Waylon Jennings.

- Toby's Understated Homepage: http://www.blackmill.net/toby_rider/
- Ann Coulter.com: http://www.anncoulter.org/
- Larry Elder.com: http://www.larryelder.com/