2009/9/1 David Goehrig <d...@nexttolast.com>:
> Alien::SDL doesn't necessarily solve your problem on this front as
> what a Windows user / casual developer actually needs is a
> click-wrapped installer that provides all of the necessary SDL_* dlls
> and does not assume that they have a compiler in place.
>
> What I was working on 3 years ago, and never got finished for various
> reasons was a Linux/BSD/MacOSX/Win32 binary distribution complete with
> installer, desktop icons, and mime-type associations.  Hence the one
> version of the code with .spl or .sdlpl file endings.  This would go a
> long way towards solving the real problem, as sdlperl should be a
> separate application like wxperl is.  I have code for this under
> MacOSX, and I've done versions for Linux, but I've never built a
> windows version.
>
> I'd recommend against focusing on playing nicely with CPAN, and focus
> on what the end user actually needs.

Why only do one thing? Why not support both?

The DBD::SQLite libraries can EITHER build against a system installed
version, or fall back to a bundled/compiled version.

Why not do something similar here?

What if the SDL isn't the primary focus of the application, and so
making a standalone installer for it isn't appropriate.

Just as in the SQLite case, there's bound to be situations where
having an SDL embedded inside the general Perl install is useful.

Adam K