On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Kartik Thakore<thakore.kar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But it does solve dev env setup for the developer.

Not really, it partially solves the configuration/detection problem
but still fails the "what the dev really needs" test.  If I'm writing
software that I want to distribute, then I need a package that I can
ship and be certain it will work.  The Alien:: approach doesn't do
this, nor does the CPAN centric approach, specifically because as
Andreas pointed out so well, the dependencies outside of the scope of
sdl-perl are myriad and tricky.

If you solve that problem, and provide a shippable package, then the
dev can code to the shippable package, and know that the software will
work as advertised.  Otherwise, you're just at the mercy of whatever
your build environment manages to produce.

> Again atleast we get code out there. CPAN is an easy install for the most
> part. Moreover this is a library not an end user app, I don't think holding
> back code is warranted.

It you are a dev you can grab the git repository and build.  CPAN is a
crap way to push dev code out as it dumps shit all over system
folders.  You are much much better off using the local build
directories while developing.  As a rule CPAN should only be used as a
dumping ground for stable code, because non-devs pull from it, and a
broken CPAN package is not just terribly annoying, it is useless.

> But my question is why do we need svg and vnc. Isn't better to focus on core
> sdl libs first?

You might not need them, but someone found SVG and VNC useful enough
to contribute the code.  We should each focus on what interests us,
but shouldn't remove other people's contributions just because we
don't find them useful :)

> I agree to this. But we need people to use our code and generate bug reports
> now rather then later. Hence CPAN.

This is a very bad idea IMHO, pushing broken things to CPAN so that we
might get users testing that way is backasswards.  Most people who
install sdl-perl are doing so to use some other software, not to use
sdl-perl.  Pushing generally broken software to CPAN only alienates
people who actually use it.

> Or something that makes a flat binary installer for what ever platform they
> need.

Ugh... oh god no!  That way madness lies...

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.dloh.org/