okay...

here's the breakdown.

if i understand correctly, "47" and "48" were the 47th and 48th songs written by sdre
(in whatever form they were in at the time)
before jeremy joined, and seven, 8, and #9 were the seventh, eighth, and ninth songs
written after he joined.

in circles -- i'm willing to say this was mostly jeremy, just because he uses this
kind of imagery (wandering around doors, for
example) in his solo stuff...

grendel -- all jeremy. he made up the lyrics after dan was jamming on what became the
song grendel, and he converted the
lines to greek (most of the song is in greek)

as far as the pink record, there never really were set lyrics... besides rodeo jones
and 8 (both recorded previously) and friday
(having already been written out for the 7", although re-recorded for the album),
jeremy pretty much made the rest of the stuff up
as he went... the band was pretty much already split up by vocal recording time.
that's why dan doesn't sing on the pink record
(except for on "8," which was recorded previously). also, and i forget to ask this
when i chatted with the band a couple weeks
ago, is that dan singing back-up on "red elephant"? just the very last line... "very
well" or whatever it says... there's a seperate
voice, and it doesn't sound like jeremy overdubbing. you make the call.

j'nuh was totally jeremy, it's about a childhood experience of his.

spade and parade, bucket of chicken -- who knows.

hiftbso -- pretty equally split between jeremy and dan, or so i hear.

100 million: mostly dan i believe, i remember an interview where he was going off
about the envirornmental issues covered in the
album.

guitar and video games, estya -- i think it's safe to say these are written by
jeremy... especially considering he played them at a
solo show shortly after the band's first reunited show.

the rising tide: when i chatted with the band a few weeks ago, jeremy said dan wrote
most of the lyrics on this one. however
"tearing in my heart" and "the ocean" are all jeremy... in fact they were originally
solo jeremy tunes (although he never played
them)

as far as why dan doesn't sing anymore... i read somewhere that they said his vocal
style just doesn't fit with the new songs,
although he does sing backup on roses in water (listen really carefully at the end
during the "ahhh... ahhh" part)

> i think that this is how it goes... they jam out, and jeremy mumbles/sings stuff
>over the music and then
> dan and jeremy sit down and make a story to what it sounds like jeremy might be
>saying. i think that
> the reason the lyrics are so jumbled on LP2 is cause the never really sat down and
>wrote them out.
> they just talked about them so jeremy had to wing it.

good theory. basically that's how it worked from what i understand... for example with
"astiocles"... jeremy was just making up
sounds while jamming and it sounded like "astiocles" so jeremy and dan decided to make
up a fake mythological character
(yes, as opposed to those *real* mythological characters... eh, you know what i mean)
to go along with it.