On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Roberts, William C
<william.c.robe...@intel.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>> libselinux only "sorts" in the sense of giving precedence to exact (no
>>> regex characters) entries.  The sorting described in the page you
>>> referenced is done by libsemanage or by the fc_sort helper program
>>> used in the refpolicy build and is not part of Android at all.  That
>>> sorting was introduced to help with ambiguities that occur when
>>> file_contexts was split into per-module .fc files.
>>That's essentially the problem we have in our build. Each module is added
>>during the build via sepolicy dirs variable. Perhaps then we should look at
>>adding fc_sort during build?
>>Android however
>>> only has a single monolithic file_contexts file, and even with the
>>> device-specific file_contexts, the assumption is that those entries
>>> should always take precedence over the generic ones (as long as they
>>> are not identical and conflict).  So order does matter.  Last matching
>>> entry wins.
>
> Does anyone object to adding something like sort_fc to the build to alleviate
> this ordering issue?
>
> Now that we switch to checking the fc files with checkfc, I'm not aware of
> any other CTS issues.

I guess the question is whether we want to sort the entire
file_contexts this way (which could potentially cause an entry from
the AOSP general file_contexts to override a device-specific entry) or
individually sort the general and device-specific file_contexts and
then concatenate the two.  The sorting is heuristic-based, as there is
no precise ordering that can be defined among regular expressions.

> BTW in the CTS test, why didn't we just modify checkfc to return status codes
> for equal, subset, superset? We have all this "complicated"
> stdio checking for exact matching.

I followed the example of other tests which were output-based, and
also exit status can be misleading, e.g. you have to ensure that you
are not misinterpreting a shell exit code (e.g. checkfc could not be
found or could not be executed) as the exit code of checkfc itself,
and that you cleanly delineate all possible exit statuses of the
program.