Re: [Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase April 18, 2018 (11:30 AM PDT| 18:30 UTC)

2018-04-18 Thread Sarah R
Hi Everyone, Just a reminder that the Research Showcase will begin in a half hour! Kindly, Sarah R. On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 7:30 PM, Sarah R wrote: > Hi All, > > A quick correction.* "*The Critical Relationship of Volunteer Created > Wikipedia Content to Large-Scale

[Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy Update #3: WMCON and Core Team news

2018-04-18 Thread Katherine Maher
Dear all, Greetings from Berlin! This is another update on the movement strategy process, this week coming from Wikimedia Conference. I’ve already had the chance to see so many old friends, and am looking forward to meeting with many more of you in person. The movement strategy track of the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Craig Franklin passed away

2018-04-18 Thread kayode yussuf via Wikimedia-l
May Craig's soul rest in peace. Kayode Yussuf On Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 4:50:16 PM GMT+1, phoebe ayers wrote: On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 1:56 PM, Lodewijk wrote: > Hi all, > > Through various other channels I learned the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Craig Franklin passed away

2018-04-18 Thread phoebe ayers
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 1:56 PM, Lodewijk wrote: > Hi all, > > Through various other channels I learned the unfortunate news that Craig > Franklin (Lankiveil) has recently passed away. > What! that is terrible. I fondly remember talking (& sometimes having friendly

[Wikimedia-l] Books & Bytes – Issue 27, February – March 2018

2018-04-18 Thread UY Scuti
*Books & Bytes – Issue 27, February – March 2018* Highlights: - #1Lib1Ref - New collections - Alexander Street (expansion) - Cambridge University Press (expansion) - User Group - Global branches update - Wiki Indaba Wikipedia +

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

2018-04-18 Thread geni
On 16 April 2018 at 06:23, Rob Speer wrote: > Right, this worries me too. > > I know that Wikimedia doesn't enforce the copyright on the content > themselves, because they don't hold the relevant copyrights, the authors > do. But there seems to be no guidance for what _anyone_

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Craig Franklin passed away

2018-04-18 Thread Nurunnaby Hasive
Sad to know. Hasive On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 3:38 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote: > On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 10:56:43 -0700 > Lodewijk wrote: > > > Hi all, > > > > Through various other channels I learned the unfortunate news that Craig > > Franklin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

2018-04-18 Thread Rob Speer
Right, this worries me too. I know that Wikimedia doesn't enforce the copyright on the content themselves, because they don't hold the relevant copyrights, the authors do. But there seems to be no guidance for what _anyone_ can do to address and correct large-scale violations. The guides on

[Wikimedia-l] Craig Franklin (User:Lankiveil) passed away

2018-04-18 Thread Isaac Olatunde
Dear all, It's with deep sadness to announce the death of our friend and a dedicated member of the Wikimedia community, Craig Franklin. I got this news on the wall of his wife, Leanne Maree Franklin. Franklin served as treasurer of Wikimedia Australia and as member of the ombudsman commission.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The fact-checked encyclopedia

2018-04-18 Thread Isaac Olatunde
Leigh, I disagree that all projects are hostile to outsiders. When someone edit in a language they do not speak and use machine to translate contents for example and refused to stop after multiple warnings, a block in such case may not be considered an "hostile" response. That being said, I

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The fact-checked encyclopedia

2018-04-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, The notion that unsourced articles need to be eradicated is fundamentally so wrong. The notion should be; we are going to source the unsourced articles and ensure that we provide the best information possible. Hostility only ensures that the point of view of the person who is hostile will

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Was macht dich diese Woche glücklich? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 15 April 2018)

2018-04-18 Thread Stephan Gambke via Wikimedia-l
> What's making you happy this week? You are welcome to comment in any > language I have not always been happy in the past with the handling of deprecations, but I really appreciate on how it is done for the PHPUnit upgrade (incl. provision of compat layer and clear instructions on what to

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

2018-04-18 Thread James Salsman
Anthony, it is not off topic at all, and some of the related Annual Plan effects are very troubling in their present manifestation. Please see: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Ubi1v8gwsq09bzjp On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 6:23 AM, Anthony Cole wrote: > This is off-topic (I

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

2018-04-18 Thread Anthony Cole
This is off-topic (I presume) but the idea of the WMF increasing its dependence on large corporate donors is beginning to trouble me. I want the WMF to answer to our readers and volunteers not Bezos, Brin and Zuckerberg. I say I presume this is off-topic because I presume the WMF isn’t, even

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

2018-04-18 Thread James Heilman
Agree with Gerard. We WANT Youtube, Facebook, and others to use our content. That is one reason why we have released it under an open license and I believe one reason why we have been so successful. We of course also want them to provide appropriate attribution. I think this would be better

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The fact-checked encyclopedia

2018-04-18 Thread Paulo Santos Perneta
Indeed. It's a very noticeable problem at the Wikipedia in Portuguese. During a workshop with librarians from the National Library last month, I was kind of shocked by the huge amount of semi-automated warnings they were receiving, some of them completely useless, as they were directed to

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

2018-04-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Maybe you know, but Katherine Mayer gave a talk at the CC conference The subject was big companies using our content (it is not just writing) and making a profit giving nothing / not much in return. The issue she raised is that it may interfere with our collaboration model. People will